Getting Your Rental Ready for Tenants
A vacant rental means you lose money. If it sits empty for an extended amount of time, then you could suffer a severe financial loss. However, getting your rental house ready for the next tenants is relatively easy. Just ask a local Dallas property management company. Think of the time of vacancy as an opportunity to improve your rental and make necessary repairs/maintenances. The lull can even be beneficial if you want to do some upgrades to increase your rental price. In this article, we will explore getting your rental ready for tenants.
Steps to Get Your Rental House Ready for the Next Tenants
Below is a concise list of the steps needed to get your rental house ready for the next tenants. Make Ready Residential can help you with all these tasks. We will make the necessary appointments for handymen, plumbers, and electricians to complete all the necessary repairs or upgrades so you can receive optimum rental value for your residence. You won’t have to worry about juggling handymen and technicians because we will take care of all the necessary steps so you can bring in your home’s next tenants.
- Re-key All Locks in the Home: A handyman can quickly re-key all the outside doors. In addition, don’t forget about the alarm codes and the garage door. Also, if your rental is in a gated community then make sure you have all the gate codes and remotes, keys to the pool/fitness center and mailbox keys.
- Change HVAC Filters: Ideally, you should have a qualified HVAC technician or handyman change all the home’s air filters.
- Focus on Lighting: You’ll want to make sure that all the lights in the home function properly.
- Swap Out Old Lightbulbs for New Ones: You’ll want to use energy-efficient bulbs. They cost a bit more, but they last longer. Clean out all lighting fixtures and make sure there are no electrical shorts.
- Windows and Doors: Inspect all windows to make sure they are clean, open easily, and have screens. Also, try sliding glass doors to ensure they slide easily along the track. Sometimes if dirt or debris builds up along the sliding door’s slot then it will not open or operate correctly. The door might jam or break which can lead to costly repairs.
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint will refresh the entire house. It will also hide any discolorations or blemishes on the wall creating a new appearance.
- Landscape: Clean up the yard, remove any debris, weed the flower beds, and mow. Depending on the season, you might also want to have the gutters cleaned. Remember, many would-be renters will gain their first impression of your home when they drive up to it. If the exterior looks bad or is lacking crucial upkeep, then you might lose a potential tenant because they will never step through the front door.
At Make Ready Residential, we can help you get your home ready for the next tenants. We offer the services of reputable tradesmen. We will schedule the appointments for handymen, electricians, plumbers, and other trades. Please give us a call today to learn more about our many services.
Back to Blog